Tuesday, January 29, 2013

4 months down


I can’t believe I have already been in Mozambique for four months! I still miss my family and friends back home but I’m adjusting to life over here pretty well (at least I think so). It’s been nice to get all settled in my house at site and meet all the people in Nacuxa. I’m feeling more and more integrated everyday.

I started a garden this week in our backyard! I brought Broccoli, Pumpkin, and Corn seeds with me from the States—and the nuns gave me amendoim (peanuts) and mandioca (a type of vegetable that looks like a stick). Sister Sandra found a woman to help us clean up the weeds and other junk in our backyard. She then proceeded to plant all the peanuts she gave me (which was a LOT!) and wanted to go get more from her house. I told her I didn’t know what I would do with all those peanuts if she got me more. She then told me that since I love peanut butter I could make my own. That’s a good thought but we’ll see if that happens. However, today I did make my own hummus—I was proud it turned out pretty nicely…just a little too much garlic (oops).

School should be starting next week (At least I hope so!) and I’m still not sure of my schedule. This last week the priest asked me if I could teach an introductory French class if they didn’t find a French teacher in time. I told him maybe but then tried to rack my brain for all the French that I have studied and couldn’t remember much at all. Studying Portuguese for the past 4 months everyday has made me forget all the French I know. Thankfully at church Sunday two new professors were introduced and I’m pretty positive one of them is teaching French, whew! I’m anxious to start teaching and forming a club or group outside of school as well! I’ll be sure to post next week after my first week of classes J

Last week it rained a lot, which was really nice because we were able to collect it since we haven’t had water coming out of the faucet for over a week. I can definitely understand the meaning of the rainy season now. The storms come up out of nowhere and just downpour for an hour or so then just stop and the hot, humid sun comes out again. It surprised me how fast the sand can absorb all the big pools of water.

We have been really lucky at site because we haven’t had any flooding or problems with the rain. However, the rest of Mozambique hasn’t faired so well. Many PCVs in Gaza province (which is in Southern Mozambique) have had to be evacuated to Maputo due to the flooding of the Limpopo River. Over 100,000 people have been displaced. The water in some towns is as high as the roofs and the roads are getting washed out and many people are stranded without fresh food and clean water. With the rainy season not even halfway through there is bound to be more flooding and problems for those along the Limpopo River.  Many prayers are needed for the PCVs in the south as well as the many Mozambicans who have lost their homes and are without food and clean water.

No comments:

Post a Comment