Sunday, March 24, 2013

Palm Sunday-Domingo de Ramos


This week went by quickly yet again. I tried to prepare my classes their tests next week. I also caught quite a lot of cheaters during the tests this week. I think they are scared of me now that I walk around with an orange pen and take off points every time I see them cheat. A lot of times they’ll look at me with sad eyes and just say “Teacher, no, please!” I just tell them sorry you shouldn’t have cheated…maybe next time you’ll think twice. I know I’m a tad harsh.

I found out that the Ministry of Education is coming this week and all the new teachers have to attend a mandatory training Monday-Thursday. I can’t teach any of my classes this week since I have to sit in at the meetings so this weekend I’ve been trying to prepare tests and assignments for my classes. I also just found out that we only have 1 more week left before grades are due. Seeing as how I just learned about this I do not have enough grades for some of my classes. So, this week they will be busy writing assignments for me to grade so I don’t get in trouble for not having enough grades. Oh Mozambique…if only you could give me a little bit more warning than that. :)

When I was walking into my 8th grade class on Friday two students came up to me and asked if they could come over after classes to speak English and ask questions. Friday afternoon the two students showed up and we started speaking in English and I asked them what kind of stuff they wanted to work on. A few minutes later another student shows up and asks if they can come and talk with us….and another…and another. None of these students are in my English classes—I do know two of them from my Informatica classes though. They seemed really enthusiastic about learning English and practicing to speak. Most of them even came over on Saturday and stayed for over an hour! It wasn’t exactly an English lesson—we looked through magazines, they had questions about words they didn’t know and we just practiced speaking.

They are a really good group of students and they even asked me if I had questions with Portuguese words to write them down and they would help me with them. I think we’re going to make it a weekly thing to come over, read magazines, ask questions and practice speaking English. One of the boys, Quizito, really wants to study at a University after he’s done in Nacuxa so I want to help him practice and get better with English. Having time with these students outside of class made my week. I felt good just sitting with them speaking in English and getting to know them better. I’m excited to get to help them speak English and they are going to help me with my Portuguese and also to learn Makua!

Today was Palm Sunday in Mozambique—it was a little different than in Omaha. We started over by the seminarians’ house where they distributed palms to everyone and blessed them. Then we processed over to the church with three students in the front carrying a large cross and all the community members following with their palms. After communion a lot of the students started singing loudly in Makua (the local language) and waving their palms around. It was really nice even though I had no idea what the song was about. The music and the spirit of the people at church every Sunday reminds me a lot of Sacred Heart  :) I do miss church in Omaha a lot but it’s nice to be reminded of it by the drums and the people singing and dancing.





This week since it’s Easter we have Thursday afternoon and Friday off of school and will be having church services. I’m excited to see what Easter Sunday mass will be like—I’ll try and take more pictures! I also talked to the nun in charge of the primary school and she told me I should come over one day and check out the school. I told her in the U.S. I used to teach at a Primary school and I’d love to come over! I’m hoping one day this week or maybe when we have a break in April I can go hang out at the primary school!

Starting next month I won’t be teaching Computers anymore! I didn’t feel like a good teacher and my Portuguese really needs some work. So now I have time to practice Portuguese with my students/a tutor and won’t be teaching Informatica until next year!

Best news of the week: 268 days until I’ll be home for Christmas!!! I got my dates approved by my Peace Corps Program director (APCD) and will be traveling home December 17th until January 7th! I’m very excited to see everyone back home and to celebrate Christmas with my family! Can’t wait to make those Christmas cookies :)

Some pictures from the past couple of weeks....


My roommate, Anna, and Irma Sandra enjoying the hammock.


On the drive back to Nacuxa...Mozambique before the sunrise



The crianças love their new coloring books!



My room...I think I'm going to feel lost without my mosquito net when I go home.


Elsa showing off her Dora picture :) She is one of my favorite crianças!


Picture from Gurue (at my friend Hannah's site) in Zambezia 

No comments:

Post a Comment