Thursday, January 30, 2014

Library Cleaning Day!

The past few days I have been very productive. Yesterday I planted a garden (with the help from one of my friends, Ancha) and today I cleaned the library. I went over this morning so we could bring everything we had in the old library room to the new, bigger classroom. The other one was having serious roof/leaking problems. After talking with my counterpart-the school director, and the pedagogical director we decided the library could be moved to the first classroom. It's a lot bigger, cleaner and has no water problems! The only problem is that is used to be the 7th grade classroom so I think we kind of kicked them out to make room for the library...oops. I saw them cleaning out another classroom when I left this morning so they'll probably use that classroom for 7th grade. I had quite a few primary school students helping me move everything and set up the bookshelves. After they helped we took some pictures and I showed them the books they could use next week. The professors even poked their heads in to ask about the library. I'm really excited this is becoming a reality and hoping kids start coming when it opens next week. This weekend I'm going to set up the books and decorate the walls! More pictures to come after we open :) 

The classroom picture before


Some students helping carry the mud blocks used for the bookshelves


The students who helped me move all the wood and blocks


Trying to arrange the bookshelves


Carrying the wood Mozambican style


Some more helpers


After arranging the bookshelves we celebrated with some pictures


Those kids just love taking pictures with my camera... 

Eating lunch then back to working on the library! More pictures to come after this weekend :) 

4 comments:

  1. Maggie, your library is looking awesome! I can only hope mine will look like this soon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it after the weekend yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes I need to post the new pictures later today!

      Delete